Race Weekend 9/27/13-9/29/13

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Race Weekend 9/27/13-9/29/13

Post by Matthew on 9/26/2013, 9:42 am

So is anyone as excited as I am for this weekend?!  Haha... probably not!!!  Right now, we're leading the points by 19, and going to a track that we already know our #23 Goodyear Chevrolet is fast at is just pumping us up more.  We won at this track back in the spring and we're hoping to do it again.  If we can sweep this track for the season, our championship dreams just might become a reality!!!  We struggled in qualifying trim the last time, and we're expecting similar issues this time around too.  Because of this, the plan's to stay out of trouble until we can get the car to the front and out of traffic.  I can't wait to get down there and get back in the car at one of my favorite tracks!!!

Last edited by Matthew on 9/28/2013, 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

Matthew
Admin

View user profile http://msracing.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Race Weekend 9/27/13-9/29/13

Post by Matthew on 9/28/2013, 8:48 pm

Well, I'm finally home after a long day of racing down in Delaware... even got a chance to swing by Dover for the end of the Nationwide race after we finished up!  Unfortunately, neither myself nor the team could give live updates because there was no connection at the track we were at.  Anyway, I figured now would be as good a time as any to give a full rundown of how the day went!  We started out by setting the fastest time in practice for the second time at this track.  In race trim, the #23 has always been really fast at this track.  Back in the spring however, we really struggled in qualifying trim, starting all the way back in 19th.  Somehow we fixed that this time, and qualified from 8th position on the grid!  The celebration was short lived though, and after getting to the front and leading for about a quarter of the race, we got clipped by a lapped car and spun out, getting some damage on the right front.  As if that wasn't bad enough, after getting all the way back up to 15th, we blew a right front tire, probably from some unseen damage we got from the spin.  With 20 laps to go, the caution came out for a collision between lapped cars, and miraculously, we found ourselves restarting from 12th on sticker tires!!!  I drove in every corner as deep as the thing would let me and forced the #23 all the way up to 2nd with 2 to go!!!  On the last two laps, we just kept cutting into the lead... we were on our way to win number five!!!  At the white, we were about 0.03 seconds off of the leader, and we were catching him fast.  We made the move on turn 3, going to the top to get a run coming off of 4.  I didn't realize how fast we were coming up on two lapped cars, and I dove to the bottom after I figured it out, but we lost too much momentum.  We couldn't catch the leader and finished 2nd by about 0.015 seconds.  It was a little disappointing to miss out on the win, but that finish was one of, if not the most exciting finish of the season!!!  I had so much fun, especially on that last lap, and that's what racing is about: having fun!!!  We would have had him in another lap, but he drove a great race, and he really deserved that win.

Matthew
Admin

View user profile http://msracing.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top